CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
½ cup Sugar
1 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
? cup All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
? cup Corn Starch
1) Mix the eggs, sugar, corn syrup and vanilla with a whip until thick (about 5 minutes.)
2) Sift the flour, cocoa and starch together and gently fold into the egg mixture.
3) Spread evenly onto a 12x16 pan that's lined with parchment paper.
4) Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400ºF.
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
¼ - ½ cup Crème de Menthe Liqueur
1) Combine the water and sugar and heat to just under a boil.
2) Add the liqueur and cool.
CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM
1½ cups Milk
½ cup Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Soft Butter
¼ cup Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
¼ cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
3 sticks Soft Butter
8 oz Melted Dark Chocolate
1) Heat the milk, cream, butter and sugar.
2) Whisk together the yolks, sugar and starch.
3) Add to the warm mixture and bring to a boil while stirring.
4) Place on a mixer and whip until room temperature.
5) Add the butter and then the melted chocolate.
1) Invert the sponge cake onto a piece of parchment paper.
2) Use a brush and soak with the syrup.
3) Spread about ? of the butter cream evenly on the cake.
4) Use the paper to roll into a log and refrigerate until firm.
5) Use the remaining butter cream to decorate.
Courtesy: Chef Drew Logan, Four Winds New Buffalo