Ricotta Pierogies with Duck Confit, Pomegranate BBQ,
Radish, Fennel, Red Onion, Pickle Vinaigrette
Yield: 4-6 servings
For the Dough
8 cups all purpose flour, plus more for flouring your work surface
1 teaspoon salt
¾ stick salted butter, melted
2 cups sour cream
¼ cup corn oil
4 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
For the cheese filling
1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
Pinch of ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon sugar
A few drops of vanilla extract
For making the Pierogies
All-purpose flour, as needed for dusting work surface
To make the dough:
1. Combine flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
2. In a separate large bowl, combine the melted butter, sour cream, and corn oil.
3. Beat the eggs and egg yolk together and add them to the sour cream mixture. Whisk everything together well, so it forms a thick smooth liquid.
4. Add the wet mixture to the flour in the mixer bowl and mix on low speed for about a minute and a half until you have thick dough.
5. Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and knead the dough by hand, forming it into a ball. Then flatten into a thick disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
To make cheese filling:
1. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cheese, egg, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla.
2. Mix on medium low for 10-15 seconds, until everything is combined.
3. Turn the mixture out into a bowl, cover and chill for at least one hour.
To make Pierogies
1. Whisk the eggs together and set aside.
2. Let the dough come to room temperature.
3. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Using a 3-4 inch round cutter, cut out as many rounds as possible.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush each round of dough with the beaten egg.
5. Put 1 tablespoon of the cheese filling on the middle of the round the fold the sides together to form a half moon. Press the sides together, leaving indentations all the way around.
6. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Boil Pierogies in small batches for approximately 7 minutes or until done. Drain well. Cool on a tray in the refrigerator and either freeze them in or fry them up.
Pomegranate Barbecue Sauce
½ white onion
4 cloves garlic
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 cups pomegranate juice
4 cups ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard powder
½ cup cola
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
Puree onion and garlic in a blender with vinegar. Combine with remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer for an hour or until the sauce is reduced by half. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
To assemble the dish:
Pan fry Pierogies in butter until crispy and heated through.
Combine one leg of duck confit with bbq sauce and heat thoroughly.
Garnish with a salad of thinly sliced radish, fennel and red onion, dressed with pickle vinaigrette.