Apple Pies (3) Different Ways
Traditional Apple Pie
Sour Cream Apple Pie
(All 3 recipes can be found on my webside; www.donnasawyerwow.com)
• 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
• 4 small tart apples, peeled and cored
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoon flour
• 4 teaspoons butter, divided
• 1 cup sugar
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cups water
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Thaw puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cut two 7-in. squares from each sheet.
2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
3. Place an apple on each square. Spoon mixture into center of each apple; top each with 1 teaspoon butter. Gently bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Place in a shallow 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Whisk an egg in a bowl and brush the egg on outside of dough & sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes in a shallow baking dish
6. Heat the SYRUP ingredients in a small sauce pan. Pour syrup into bottom of pan and drizzle a little on top. Keep ½ cup of syrup out.
7. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until apple is tender and pastry is golden brown.
8. Serve warm with ice cream and drizzle leftover syrup over ice cream & dumplings. Yield: 4 servings.
Courtesy: Donna Sawyer