LIVE VIDEO: WZZM 13 News    Watch
 

Neighbors wake sleeping man in burning house

8:41 PM, Jul 25, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- A fire in Spring Lake caused significant damage to a home, but the man sleeping inside, escaped thanks to his neighbor.

The fire started around 2:30 p.m. on Van Wagoner Road near U.S. 131.

The renter who was inside sleeping woke to the sound of a neighbor beating the side of his home with his hands. The neighbor noticed smoke coming from the house and knew the man who lived there worked third shift and was most likely sleeping inside.

Paul Curtis is thankful a neighbor saw the smoke. "It could have been very bad. I do not want to think about what could have happened," Curtis told WZZM 13.

Firefighters were able to save Curtis's dog and three cats. The fire may have started by a gas grill near the home, but Curtis says it hasn't been used since last Saturday.


View Larger Map

Most Watched Videos