Fire damages Geek Group in Grand Rapids

6:21 PM, Jan 2, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Leonard St. NW, Grand Rapids. (Jan. 2, 2014)

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- A fire Thursday afternoon caused extensive damage to the northwest Grand Rapids science lab called The Geek Group.

Chris Boden of the Geek Group says no demonstrations or activities were underway when the fire broke out about 3:30 p.m. The Geek Group is famous for its hand-on learning in science and technology. It includes a high voltage lab that can create lightning indoors.

Boden says it appears an electric motor inside overheated and caught fire. No one was hurt, but the fire sent smoke throughout the structure and cracked exterior brick in a rear section of the building at Leonard and Fremont NW.

Boden says The Geek Group was open to the public for the first time Wednesday. In the past, it has been open to members only.

According to its mission statement, The Geek Group "provides access to science, technology, engineering and math by developing programming and facilities for individuals and institutions to learn, explore, innovate and play at an independent pace according to their needs...We build awesome."

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos