Courtesy: Egypt Valley Country Club Pastry Chef, Gwen Freas
• 3 eggs
• 2 Tablespoons oil
• 1 Tablespoon bourbon whiskey
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¾ cup all purpose flour
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 1 1/8 cups butter, softened
• 9" pie crust, unbaked, or tart shells
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
• Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until eggs are foamy, about 3 minutes; beat oil, bourbon whiskey, and vanilla extract into the eggs until just incorporated.
• Beat flour, white sugar, and light brown sugar into egg mixture until smoothly blended, then beat in butter.
• Gently stir pecans and chocolate chips into the filling.
• Fit the pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish and pour the filling into the crust.
• Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge of the filling comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
• Cool the pie on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Southern Tea Cakes
• 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Dough will be soft and wet. On a floured surface shape the dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Flour surface again and roll dough out until approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes and bake on a slightly greased sheet pan for 10 to 12 minutes. You can add on the end of the Southern Tea Cakes that they can be sandwiched with jam or preserves (as I did).
JLGR Derby Day Fundraiser
The event takes place this Saturday from 4:00 PM -
8:00 PM. It's at Egypt Valley Country Club 7333 Knapp Avenue NE, Ada, MI 49301.
The event features:
Southern style dinner & appetizers
Derby style games
Ticket price - $75 ($33 tax deductible donation)
For more information: www.juniorleaguegr.com
Fashions Courtesy of Talbots