Curly Kale and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Yields: 6 - (2 cup) servings
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (~4 cups)
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
¼ lemon juice
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1.5 bunches curly kale, washed and patted dry (~14 cups)
4 oz aged goat cheese, crumbled (plain or honey flavored)
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add squash to medium bowl and toss with olive oil and ground pepper until evenly coated. Place squash onto a roasting pan, baking sheet, or Dutch oven. Roast uncovered for 1 hour, or until squash is softened and edges begin to brown. Toss halfway through.
3. Tear kale away from the stem and rip into bite-size pieces. Place into a large salad bowl.
4. Add lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to kale. Using your hands, toss kale with dressing while massaging oils into the leaves; within a couple of minutes leaves will soften (that is how you know you are done). Let stand for at least 30 minutes as leaves tenderize.
5. Crumble goat cheese over top and add butternut squash still warm from the oven to help melt the cheese. Top with nuts (optional) and toss well to combine.
TIP: This salad tastes even better the next day, making it a great make-ahead option for your holiday festivities! If you truly want to boost the flavor, use candied walnuts and dried cherries.
Nutrition Information per serving
Total Fat 21g
Sat Fat 5g
Total Carbs 30g
Vitamin A 400%
Vitamin C 360%
Source: Adapted from www.MarthaStewart.com