Grand Rapids (WZZM) - Sweetest Day is just around the corner and if you're thinking of honoring the people who make your life a little sweeter, here are some healthy suggestions from Spartan Stores dietician Allison Reed.
Click on the video link to watch the segment. To learn more about Sweetest Day, click here. The recipes demonstrated in the segment are below.
Fizzy Love Potion
- Sugar Free Pink/Red Colored Drink Mix
- Diet Squirt
- Raspberry Sherbet/sorbet
1. Prep drink mix according to package instructions. Chill.
2. Combine drink mix and Diet Squirt in a glass, 1:1 ratio
3. Add scoop sherbet/sorbet and serve cold
- 1 fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 package mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 7-oz package of feta cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Mash enough strawberries to measure 1/3 cup. Slice remaining strawberries 1/4 inch thick to create heart shapes and place in large bowl. Add greens, cheese, and nuts. Whisk oil, vinegar, and sugar in small bowl to blend. Whisk in mashed strawberries. Season dressing with salt and pepper as desired. Add to salad; toss to coat.
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1, 14-oz jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a vigorous boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions to the lower range of recommended cooking time.
2. While pasta is cooking prep other ingredients. Chop artichokes & sun-dried tomatoes and combine in large bowl with toasted almonds and lemon zest.
3. Drain pasta when it is done and add it to the bowl with the artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes. Toss gently. Add lemon juice, parsley, black pepper, 1-2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato oil, and 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to pasta and toss to mix.
- Sugar Free Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1% Milk
- 1 tub Light Whipped Topping, thawed
- Dove Dark Chocolate Hearts
1. Prepare pudding according to package instructions, using 1/2 cup less milk than directed. Allow to set in refrigerator.
2. Mix 1/2 cup pudding with 1/4 cup light whipped topping
3. Top with Dove Chocolate & give the message to your sweetie