(BLAIR MOREAU - MERCY HEALTH PARTNERS) - No Time No Problem
I hear them time and time again during the holiday season - the excuses not to exercise.
• "I have no time to exercise."
• "I can't get to the gym."
• "I just don't have the energy."
• "I'll do it tomorrow."
These excuses along with the high calorie food and drinks during the holiday season lead to the 6-pound weight gain the average American packs on between Thanksgiving and the New Year.
The past few weeks we have provide 5-minute workouts to help with the time and lack of energy excuses we use this time of year. So if you can spare five minutes here is a challenging low impact holiday workout that will help combat the battle of the abdominal buldge.
• Side Lunge with Windmill: Stand in a wide stance with arms straight out. Bend at the waist, abs tight, and take the left arm towards the right foot. Stand straight up and repeat the move to the other side. Go as fast and comfortably as you can. If you feel lower back pain, bend your knees a bit. Continue the activity for 1 minute.
• Knee Raise with Arm Tuck: Stand in a scissors (one leg in back of the other) position with arms raised above you head. Bring your knee into your chest while bring the arms down. Do activity for 30 seconds and then repeat with the other leg for 30 seconds.
• Bear Crawl: Standing straight up. Squat to the floor and slowly walk your hands out until you are in a plank position. Hold the plank position for a second and then slowly walk your hands back to a squat and stand up. Repeat for one minute. To make this more intense, add a jump when you stand back up.
• Knee to Elbow: Stand with legs wide. Bring your left knee up to the side while bringing your elbow down toward your knee. Contract the abdominal muscles as you bring the knee and elbow together. Then do the right knee to the right elbow. Repeat this activity for 1 minute.
• Squat Kicks: Place your arms up in a guarding position and squat to a comfortable position. As you stand up, kick one leg out in front of you. Repeat the move, kicking with the other leg. Continue the activity, alternating kicks for 1 minute.
Get off the excuse train and keep your body moving to minimize any holiday weight gain.
Blair Moreau - Mercy Health Partners