Lauren and Blair work out on the beach
(MERCY HEALTH PARTNERS/BLAIR MOREAU) - Summer's here and the time is right for getting your body ready for beach season. Many are searching for ways to amp up their workout to maximize time at home or in the gym. This circuit body workout plan will help boost your current exercise program and challenge your muscles to maximum capacity.
Perform this routine one to three times through, resting between sets for no more than 2 minutes. Try to complete 12 to 15 reps of each exercise, using a weight that is challenging but doable for the desired number of repetitions.
• Dumbbell Step Up with Knee High - Hold a pair of dumbbells and stand facing a step. Step up on the bench lifting the opposite knee as high as you can. Return both feet to the floor and do the opposite leg.
• Plank - Go into a modified push up position with elbows on the floor and beneath your shoulders. Keep your shoulders blades back and down and your body in a straight line. Keep your abs firm and tight, holding the position for 30 seconds.
• Push Ups - Get into a push up position with feet together and hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart. Support yourself with your hands and toes, keeping a slight bend in your elbows. Your body should be in a straight-line form heads to heels. Bend your elbows to lower your chest to the ground, push back up to the starting position and repeat.
• Dumbbell Squats - Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart and toes facing forward. Hold a pair of dumbbells near your shoulders. With weight on your heals, slowly bend your knees and push hips back to lower into a squat, keeping your chest high. When knees reach 90 degrees, keep them behind your toes, push back up to the starting position and repeat.
• Crunch - Lie on your back with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor and hands across the chest. Keeping your neck relaxed, slowly roll your upper back off the floor and then slowly return to the starting position and repeat.
• Dead Lift with Up-Right Row - Stand up right with feet shoulder width apart. Hold a pair of dumbbells in front of your thighs as you lower down. Keep you back straight and your chest out. As you return to the starting position raise the dumbbells straight up toward your chin, keeping the dumbbells close to your body throughout the movement. Return dumbbells to the starting position and repeat.
Do these exercises three times a week with supplementing cardio three times a week and you will get your body beach ready.