(WZZM) - Though your kids may not want to admit it, it's time for them and for you to start thinking about going back to school.
In fact, there are already some students who have started the new school year.
With back to school comes school lunches and in this Get Fit, we're talking about some easy and healthy options for your child's lunch box.
Allison Reed, a dietitian with Spartan Stores shows you some options. To watch the segment, click on the video link. Recipes are listed below.
Yields 4 servings
Easy as 1-2-3!
1 - Prep
2 - Measure
3 - Assemble
- 6 Hard boiled Spartan Large Eggs
- 1/2 C. Onion, diced
- 1/2 C. Celery, diced
- 1/4 C. Light or fat free mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp. Paprika (Optional)
- Whole Grain Crackers (6-8 per serving)
Hard boil the eggs and let cool. Combine mayonnaise, mustard and paprika in a medium bowl. Next, add onion and celery. Finally, remove eggshels, cut eggs into small cubes and mix in with all other ingredients. Serve with whole grain crackers and a fruit or vegetable for a well rounded meal or snack.
Whole Grain Turkey Wrap
Yields 1 serving
- 1 whole Spartan Whole Wheat Tortilla
- 1 Tbsp. Hummus
- 1/2 C. Romaine lettuce (wash and pat dry)
- 3 Slices of Spartan Pillow Pack Turkey
- 1/4 C. Reduced fat shredded Cheddar
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato, diced
Spread hummus over tortilla up to one inch from the edge. Next sprinkle lettuce evenly over the tortilla, pushing down into the layer of hummus. Place the turkey slices over the lettuce and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Finally, top evenly with tomato and roll the tortilla up tightly. Slice in half with a diagonal cut and insert toothpicks to hold together until eaten.
Ham & Swiss Pinwheels
Yields 1 Serving
- 1 Slice of Spartan Wheat Bread (remove the crust)
- 1 tsp. Light or Fat Free Mayonnaise
- 1 Slice of Spartan Swiss Cheese
- 2 Slices of Spartan Pillow Pack Ham
Flatten the bread with a rolling pin or can of vegetables and then spread with mayonnaise. Next, layer the cheese and ham slices and let sit for 2-3 minutes so the cheese can soften. Roll tightly and slice crosswise into four even pieces. Serve with cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices.