Eagle-Ottawa in Grand Haven - photo from Aaron Witte and Christina Toman
GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (WZZM) -- Investigators say a demolition project sparked the fire at a former tannery in Grand Haven.
It happened just after 2p.m. Wednesday at the old Ottawa Eagle Leather building on Beechtree Street. Investigators say sparks from a blow torch fell onto loose roofing insulation, starting the fire.
Firefighters stopped the fire before it could spread to the rest of the building. Initially, witnesses said that there was an explosion, but investigators found no evidence of that.
No one was hurt.