LIVE VIDEO: WZZM 13 News at Noon    Watch
 

Fire may have started with smoking materials

1:11 PM, Nov 16, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

OTTAWA COUNTY, Michigan (WZZM) - A family is safe, but their house was severely damaged by fire early Friday morning.

The family woke up to the smell of smoke and called 911, shortly after 1:00 am Friday. By the time firefighters arrived, the back side of the home was engulfed in flames.

It took crews about 20 minutes to put the fire out, but the house has extensive damage.

"All indications show, after interviewing the occupants, they had emptied an ashtray into the wastepaper basket in the bathroom," says Crockery Township Fire Chief Gary Dreyer. "It appears to be carelessly discarded smoking materials."

No one was injured in the fire.

 

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos