Wyoming (WZZM) - A third grade student from St. John Vianney School in wyoming woman died Valentine's Day and doctors think it could have been a case of bacterial meningitis.
The principal of the school sent a letter to parents Friday announcing the death of Ethan Giang.
"We received news this morning that Ethan's death was likely caused by a bacterial infection, suspected to be meningitis," Principal Gregg Bruno wrote in the letter.
Meningitis is an infection of the spinal fluid.
"While bacterial meningitis is serious, the Kent County Health Department does not believe there is a public health risk to the students," Bruno wrote. "Bacterial meningitis is not as contagious as the common cold or flu and is rarely transmitted through casual contact."
The school is taking precautions, including cleaning all of the classrooms and common areas. The principal says that work will be finished by Tuesday when the students return to school.
If your child experiences any of the following symptoms, call your doctor:
- Fever over 101 degrees
- Stiff Neck
- Non-specific rash
If you have any questions, you can call the Kent County Health Department at (616) 632-7228. To learn more about bacterial meningitis, click here.
Funeral arrangements for Ethan Giang have been made. The funeral is Monday at 11am.