LIVE VIDEO: The Morning News    Watch

Police: Man dies in fire caused by careless smoking

3:34 PM, Apr 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

DORR, Mich. (WZZM) -- An Allegan County man died early Friday morning while trying to extinguish a fire inside his home.

A family of three was inside the home in the 2100 Block of 137th Avenue when the fire started around 2 a.m. Friday.

Michigan State Police Fire Marshall Sgt. Leroy says Paul Smit, 41, was overcome by somke aned died while attempting to put out flames in the mudroom. Smit's wife and his 16-year-old son managed to escape the fire.

The Dorr Township fire department says flames were shooting out of the roof when crews arrived and firefighters weren't able to go inside to try and rescue the man.

Sgt. Leroy says it appears the fire started as the result of careless smoking.

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos