LIVE VIDEO: Take 5    Watch

Space heater causes fire in NE Grand Rapids duplex

9:26 AM, Jan 8, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Scene of house fire, Harlan Ave. NE, Grand Rapids (Photo by WZZM 13's Delal Pektas)

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Police officers helped to get people out of an apartment after a space heater caught fire in a northeast side house.

It happened around 2:40 a.m. Wednesday at a two-story duplex on Harlan Avenue, near Michigan Street and Eastern Avenue.

Police say a space heater caught fire in a ground-floor apartment in the house.  The people in that unit got out, while officers got people out of the second-floor apartment.

They say there was minor damage from the fire, and no one was hurt.

Firefighters say they are seeing more fires caused by space heaters during the current cold snap.  They advise people to keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment.

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos