Harris Building fire, Division Ave. S. and Fulton St.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WZZM) -- An early morning fire at the Harris Building in downtown Grand Rapids started in the heating unit, says Grand Rapids Deputy Fire Chief Frank Verburg.
It was reported around 2:20 a.m. at 111 Division Avenue South. Fire crews say the building did not appear to be occupied at the time of the fire.
Captain Verburg says the fire was on the third floor and spread to the roof. He says it appears the fire was contained to the roof and there was zero damage to the interior of the building.
He estimates loss at above $50,000.
Captain Verburg says he can't put point to a direct cause for the H-VAC unit to start on fire, but says it's common for heating units to malfunction in extremely cold weather.
The Harris Building was built in 1892 on the site of the old Grand Rapids Brewing Company. It was an ArtPrize venue last year and is being converted into retail, residential and office space.